Friday, July 24, 2015

Why I still have unlimited data

         From my first smartphone back on Virgin Mobile USA with the old $25 plan that included 2.5 GB of data and 300 minutes. But here's the catch about that plan. I remembered the TOS saying speeds maybe slowed down. Given that I was 12 with a smartphone, my data usage was never under the 2.5 GB of included data, I believe my lowest point was 3 GB and this usage data actually came from the Virgin Mobile website, not what was reported from my device. Also, I remember having a Virgin Mobile Mifi personal hotspot and with that we hit 17GB. But who is we? Well for a long period of my life our ISP was actually Sprint via Virgin Mobile and we as in my family used this hotspot thinking it was a 4G hotspot. Later after getting my first smartphone and reading up on some things, I found out this was a 3G hotspot and this later began how I started getting into mobile devices besides laptops. But that's a story for another day. 
  
       Now here I am 17 years old, not with the same plan or device but with the same device manufacture. But why do I still have unlimited data? Well, I can never predict my data usage every month. Why not? Every month is never consistent, thus some months being higher than others and some months being lower. Now before you start bashing me about me hogging data, the most amount of data I've ever used was 45 GB and I was staying somewhere else other than home and I had to check into school online. However, since the time of having Virgin Mobile I've learned that having mobile data is a luxury that isn't available everywhere. So whenever I do encounter an area where mobile data is slow or unstable, I think back to my times of having Virgin Mobile and not being able to use it and how network congestion works. With that being said, I don't get angry whenever mobile data is unavailable nor do I feel entitled to use hundreds of gigabytes of data and not feel any consequences arise. 
           
         But after anyone says "bandwidth costs money", I'll say this, "And so does the service I pay for". I acknowledge that EULAs and TOS exist, but I don't break them with excessive P2P connections or use a VPN to avoid consequences. Also, with later network improvements such as LTE-A and LTE carrier aggregation, I hope to see AT&T do better with their diverse spectrum portfolio due to them not having a lot of contiguous spectrum.   
        

No comments:

Post a Comment